On our travels across Canada we have now made it to the Okanagan. This is the heart of growing country in Canada. It is not the perfect time of year for an abundance of all different types of yummy fruits and vegetables.
One of the things you will find here are cherries! I totally love cherries! I have been eating them by the bowl full and still can’t get enough so now I have to start using them in everything else too.
We are staying with some friends here and something sweet and chocolatey was on order so I combining my obsession with theirs I made this crazy delicious cherry chocolate brownie. Sean has an obsession with icing, even if I wasn’t going to ice the brownie it was a must to make a bowl of icing to go with it. So unlike my usual brownies I threw together a light and buttery icing to smother over the top. This cherry chocolate brownie is all and all a perfect combination, the sweet rich double chocolate brownie base complemented by slightly tangy cherries then topped off with light buttery icing. YUMMY!!!
Cherry Chocolate Brownie
200g dark chocolate
1 1/2 cups soft brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
2 Tbsp cocoa powder
100g extra dark chocolate, chopped
100g extra white chocolate, chopped
large handful of fresh cherries
For the Icing
150g icing sugar
a few drops of vanilla essence
1 Tbsp Cocoa powder
1. Wash, deseed and roughly chop up the cherries.
2. In a saucepan over medium-low heat melt the butter and 200g dark chocolate together.
3. When melted remove from heat and add sugar, mix in until all combined.
4. Add the eggs and beat with a wooden spoon until glossy.
5. Add the flour and cocoa powder and mix until half combined.
6. Add the cherries and extra chocolate and give about 2 more mixes to just combine.
7. Pour into a lined baking tray and bake at 170degC for 25-30 minuted or until cooked. When cooked it should not be runny still but it will not be completely solid. It will harden as it cools.
8. Allow to cool completely before removing from tin and Icing. At least 4 hours.
9. To make the icing put all ingredients into a bowl and beat with an electric mixer for about 1-2 minuted so combine and get a little light and fluffy.
10. Smear icing over the top of the cherry chocolate brownie.
Enjoy, Stef the travelling chef!