Yummy vegan and gluten free Hummingbird cake.
This recipe is a small adaption from a recipe I learned while working a few years ago back in New Zealand. It is just so delicious and light and textured.
3/4 c oil
1 tin crushed pineapple
3/4 c white sugar
3/4 c brown sugar
3/4 c maple syrup or agave (as a non vegan I used honey as that was what I had)
4 ripe bananas
3 c gluten free plain flour
1 tbsp baking soda
2 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 c dessicated coconut
1 1/2 c rough chopped pecans or walnuts
1. Put all dry ing into bowl and combine
2. Put all wet ing ( except bananas) together and combine
3. Using your hands squeeze bananas into flour mix to mash and slightly combine, there can still be a few chinky banana pieces
4. Pour wet ing into dry and mix to just combined
5. Pour into 2 lined cake tins and bake 170 for 45-1hr
For the icing:
zest and juice of 2 limes
1 1/2 c icing sugar
pecans or walnuts to decorate
Mix juice and icing sugar together this should make a thick paste, if too dry add a little cold water to thin it out.
Pour/spread over cold cake place nuts around and sprinkle with zest. Allow to set 4 hours or overnight.