These Chickpea and Chocolate Chip No-Bake Cookies are surprisingly delicious and moreish. They are light and smooth like a shortbread but also dense and filling. It is hard to only have one!
They have made it into the Gourmet Travellers food section as they only require four ingredients and are very simple to make. We have been on the road now for about three months making our way across Canada. John loves his sweets so to save money we have been making things as much as possible.
While on the road we stayed with friends in Ontario, Hilda from the Along the Grape Vine Blog. We had talked a lot about cooking on the road and our ‘situation’. I had also made some cookies while we were there. We inspired Hilda to think up this delicious recipe which you can find her original post and recipe on her blog.
I will definitely give credit where credit is due and Hilda deserves it. It took us awhile until we got somewhere we could get some Chickpea flower. But now we have finally found some we made a triple batch of these little morsels for times on the road! They didn’t last very long!
We had butter and white chocolate to make these no-bake cookies with. They can easily be made dairy free and vegan by using coconut oil and dark chocolate.
Chickpea and Chocolate Chip No-Bake Cookies
1 cup chickpea flour
1/2 cup butter or coconut oil
1/4- 1/2 cup brown sugar
4 Tbsp chocolate (bits or roughly chopped)
1. In a pan melt the butter.
2. Add chickpea flower and stir constantly over a medium heat so the flour does not burn. The mixture will darken, bubble and thicken. This should take about five minutes.
3. Add the sugar until it dissolves, this will take about three minutes.
4. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before adding the chocolate.
5. Roll into small balls while still warm then allow to cool completely.
This should make about 10-12 small balls.
Stef the travelling chef and Hilda @Alongthegrapevine.